- What does an Efficient-V engine, pump or compressor look like?
- How does the piston(s) reciprocate?
- Why is the Piston Elongated?
- Why does the piston have a split Bearing Cap?
- Why is there less friction in Efficient-V?
- Does Efficient-V produce more power than a conventional Piston Engine?
- Can Efficient-V be turbocharged or supercharged?
- Is Efficient-V durable?
- What types of applications is Efficient-V suitable for?
- What are the material requirements for Efficient-V?
- Does the unique piston have any special requirements?
- What cylinder arrangements can Efficient-V take?
- How does Efficient-V work?
- What are the difficulties in producing Efficient-V?
- How costly is Efficient–V to produce?
- Why should I partner with Efficient-V?
Question: What does an Efficient-V engine, pump or compressor look like?
Answer: An engine, pump or compressor using Efficient-V technology looks very similar to one using conventional technology only more compact. There are no connecting rods.
Question: How does the piston(s) reciprocate?
Answer: In Efficient-V a simple robust planetary mechanism is employed for translation of reciprocation to rotation which is directly journaled in the piston. Think of a Wankel Rotary that employs pistons, and that provides superior kinematics than available in conventional piston engines.
Question: Why is the Piston Elongated?
Answer: The elongate piston element provides superior stability and bore alignment. Eccentric forces at the piston ring interface are effectively eliminated, which is the principal cause of friction, wear and efficiency loss in conventional piston engines.
Question: Why does the piston have a split Bearing Cap?
Answer: A split bearing cap facilitates assembly, and enables use of common off-the-shelf bearing inserts. All commonly employed methods of journaling at said location may be employed. It does not have to be split, and in some applications may not be.
- There are no conventional main bearings.
- Wrist pins are eliminated.
- The high eccentric forces present in conventional designs between the piston and cylinder wall which generate what has been estimated by Toyota to represent 50% of the friction in a conventional piston engine are substantially eliminated.
- Friction losses are further mitigated by superior kinematics providing gentler transition of reciprocation direction complemented by reduced reciprocating mass.
- Further mitigation of friction is provided by the lower acceleration and deceleration rates of reciprocation provided in the Efficient-V geometry and mechanism.
- The force of an expanding combustion gas acting on the piston head is transmitted optimally tangent to the axis of rotation of the power delivery shaft – thus minimal friction loss and maximum mechanical advantage.
Question: Does Efficient-V produce more power than a conventional Piston Engine?
Answer: Power transmitted (torque) is greater than in conventional piston engines due to the improved mechanical advantage provided in the operational geometry. Think of it as providing greater leverage.
- The robust mechanical design enables operation at higher cylinder pressures, and elevated RPM which is further enabled by:
- Reciprocation kinematics which reduce dynamic stress.
- Reduced reciprocating mass.
- Efficient-V reciprocation kinematics provide optimal piston “Dwell” for extraction of combustion energy.
Question: Can Efficient-V be turbocharged or supercharged?
Answer: Efficient-V is especially well suited to high pressure turbocharging or supercharging. Existing advanced high performance ancillary technologies are easily integrated – cylinder heads, valvetrain, induction, engine management…
Question: Is Efficient-V durable?
Answer: Durability of Efficient-V is expected to be superior to a conventional piston engine, and is further enhanced by the incorporation of an oilway receiving pressure lubrication in the elongate section cylinder journaling surfaces of the piston.
Question: What types of applications is Efficient-V suitable for?
Answer: Efficient-V is highly suited to compression (diesel) or spark ignition engine applications, and high efficiency compressors or pumps.
- Efficient-V is especially well suited to applications requiring maximum engine efficiency in a compact, durable, low maintenance, high output package
Question: Does the unique piston have any special requirements?
Answer: Any materials common to the industry in piston applications may be employed, as well as a combination, such as an iron or steel piston head for high heat and pressure application in combination with an aluminum alloy elongate element.
Question: What cylinder arrangements can Efficient-V take?
Answer: Efficient –V technology can be implemented as a V-twin, V-3, V-4, or more of variable “V” angle, and the technology is quite scalable.
- Assembly is easy.
- Integration of related powertrain components is simple and straightforward
- The Efficient–V Team is deeply committed bringing this important and sound technology to U.S. Industry, and the World.
- The Efficient–V Team has carefully endeavored to provide comprehensive in-depth International Intellectual Property Protection for this important technology.
- The Efficient–V management team is committed to providing maximum value to our partners and stakeholders.